About the NSTA
The Nevada State Towing Association was formed to deal with government regulations, work to change laws and advocate for the towing industry in Nevada. The association was initially formed in 2018 as the Tow Operators of Northern Nevada. The association was actively engaged in lobbying and working on legislative bills for the 2019 Nevada Legislative session. Most tow companies in the in Reno, Sparks, Carson City and Gardnerville areas actively participated in our association.
In 2019, we had a very successful legislative result where we affected the change to multiple bills and were also able to improve the safety of our tow operators through winning the ability to add blue lights to our trucks. We were also able to fix some of the broken private property impound laws and to help with tow operator cost control, by successfully promoting legislation that enabled tow operators to charge property owners for the removal junk vehicles. The charter Board of Directors were President Drew Ribar, Vice President Michael Baumbach, Treasurer Susan Zinser, Secretary Tom Baumbach, and Director Chris Holland.
The 2021 Legislative session was very different and difficult due to the Covid shut downs and due to the fact that no in person contact or open hearings were conducted. We were successful in stopping large blocks of legislation that would have adversely affected the towing industry in the State of Nevada, including legislation that would have made it very difficult for private property owners to remove abandoned vehicles from their property.
After the session had concluded, we realized that our voice could be much stronger if we had representative tow companies from across the state. As a result, we reconstituted the Tow Operators of Northern Nevada and formed the Nevada State Tow Association (NSTA) as a 501 C (6)trade association representing its members before the state legislature, regulatory agencies and the National Towing Association. We are now in the process of recruiting tow companies from around the state to join.
- Establish a New Statewide Organization - Representation and Structure
- Recruitment of New Members – Tow Operators Statewide
- Introduce NSTA to State Regulating Organizations as “The Voice of Nevada’s Professional Towing Industry”
- Work to improve Vehicle Titling & Lien Sale Process
- Assist slow response times with process improvements & standardization
- Assist with implementation of Tow Company Legislative Taining
- NSP - Formally the Nevada Highway Patrol
- Establish formal Point of Contact and Communications Protocols
- Participation with New Tow Manual Requirements
- Response Time & Safety Improvements
- Implement Legislative Political Strategy - Tracking – Lobbying – Bill Introduction
- Proactive Legislative Committee Approach